Thursday, July 17, 2014

Beauty Review: Lush Cosmetics


A little while ago I did a beauty haul post of many Lush Cosmetics products. Now that I've had time to use them and really experience them, I'm spilling all the beans in this review.





Here is an excerpt of my haul post:

I'm a huge fan of Lush for many reasons, one of them being the labelling of vegan products. The majority of their products are vegan and have this little V symbol to identify them...
I've always had great experiences with +LUSH Cosmetics products. Their values (fighting animal testing, eco-friendly packaging, etc.) are proudly displayed on their packaging, storefronts and website.


The individual reviews:

The Comforter & French Kiss (bubble bars)
These are pretty great. They crumble easily, make lots of bubbles, smell great and give decent colour to your bathwater. You only need to use a little so a little goes a long way.
Jumping Juniper (solid shampoo)
I did like this product. It smelled great and left my hair feeling clean. I found the bar was almost easier ergonomically than a liquid form of shampoo.

BIG (solid conditioner)
This product smells great, but I find it didn't really... condition... my hair? Maybe I just have a hard time with it, or maybe I just tend to use a lot more than I'm supposed to. I rubbed the bar against my hair, and it felt like it just created more knots and tangles without depositing much product in my hair. I even rubbed it between my hands to try to get enough product out of it. Still, it left me a little disappointed.
No Drought (dry shampoo)
This one is really good. It was easy to apply, smelled great, and worked wonders on my not-so-fresh hair. It looks really natural (not too white) when applied with a powder brush. The spout is not the best, it seems to always give too little or too much product when you squeeze the bottle. I ended up putting some powder in a container (cleaned out of course) and this was a much better controlled way of working with it. 
Eyes Right (mascara)
Great formula, non clumping, lengthening, etc. The only downfall of this product is the length of the brush. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like it was awkward to hold the brush that close my face. This brought out the clumsy in me, and that's not a good thing when mascara is involved. I also found that I was struggling to use all of the product in the container, since the brush can't reach very far. 

I really wanted to like this. I tried. I just couldn't do it. The texture was chunky, it tasted funny and felt slippery on the lips. The jar is another thing I didn't like. For me, I don't like the idea of putting my fingers in there. I much prefer the tubes. It's really disappointing when a company creates a specifically vegan product, and it just isn't as good as the others. Thankfully, I found a lip balm that I'm completely in love with, see this post here.


Overall impression:

This company certainly has good intentions. They do make a lot of effort into their causes and I totally respect that. Every store experience is incredibly pleasant and fun, although harsh on the sniffer. The products are sometimes hit or miss, but there are some really great ones performance-wise.

Even if some of these products are great I'm still concerned with some toxins. Now that I've learnt much more about them, I usually refer to David Suzuki's 'Dirty Dozen' list of dangerous chemicals typically used in cosmetics. Naturally, I also keep in mind Terra20's list of banned&harmful chemicals. The Environmental Working Group website is also another good resource. Lush does use quite a few of these no-no ingredients, such as SLS&SLES (foaming agents), parabens, talc (powder), coal-derived dyes and tons of synthetic perfumes.

Overall I'd say they are certainly fun products BUT to me, maybe not worth the risk of exposure to these ingredients. That's my two cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment