Tuesday, November 26, 2013

5 Ingredient Recipe: Spiced Apple Pie Oatmeal

It's that time of year again! We start taking out our cozy scarves, hats and mitts. We crave warm and comforting meals... We've had our first real snowfall here in Ottawa, and now the holiday cheer is fully present everywhere. That's the only thing getting me through the cold weather. Well, that and my nights in, knitting and listening to jazzy holiday tunes.
This oatmeal recipe is perfect for this time of year. Yes, I know this is just another oatmeal recipe, but it's my go-to when I want something easy, warm and hearty. With only 5 ingredients, you have no excuses! And, who wouldn't want to eat apple pie for breakfast?





I got a sample of this Maharaja Chai Oolong from Teavana with my online order a little while ago. It already has some rock sugar mixed in, so I figured I could use it here because I usually don't like sugar in my tea. I'm already sweet enough.... Hahaha! I know, I'm super original!

I love infusing everyday foods with tea, it just makes it extra special. It's great because it adds in so much flavour without having to buy and mix a bunch of spices you'll probably only use once. Been there, done that!



Oh and yes, I double dip tea companies ;) I'm also using this maple agave from David's Tea, which I got during a promo (I believe it was a free bottle of maple agave syrup with a $25 purchase). Because I love free stuff!



Ingredients:
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp loose chai tea (or 4 tea bags)
- 2 macintosh apples
- 1/4 cup maple flavoured agave nectar OR maple syrup, adjust to taste

Directions:
Bring your water to a boil in a saucepan. Add in your tea bags and turn off the heat. Cover and let it steep for 15 minutes. Chop your apples into small cubes, about 1/4 - 1/2 inches. They don't have to be perfect, don't worry if they aren't all the same size!

After the tea has steeped, take out the tea bags and discard them. Bring it back to a boil and add in the oats. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally between your sets of push-ups and sit-ups. HAH! Just kidding, obviously... I was munching on my chopped apples, shhh!

When the oats are cooked, turn off the heat. Mix in apple pieces and cover, letting it sit for about 10 minutes to thicken. Serve in cute china bowls with weird spoons, cause that's how I roll!




No comments:

Post a Comment